Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My Copious Free Time

OK, so I enjoy this toy, but I must admit, I frankly don't have time to get the watts I need/want. I do about 4000 steps in a day, just wandering around campus and going to meetings; this will give me more than enough watts to do whatever I want generally. But when I offload the Pokemon onto my DS, my watts are zeroed out again and they go into the DS, so I need to get more steps before I can check out a new route I unlocked...

In related news, how do you cheat with this device:
Shaking, works quite nicely, but if you shake too fast it doesn't register. I've found that a limp-wristed shaking back and forth works nicely while reading email.
The Fan Method
The Record Player
If I have time, I'm going to attempt to attach mine to my Jigsaw and try that at it's lowest setting.

Also, issues with this thing:
It's in Japanese, I speak Japanese, I can sorta read/write it, but playing the game is hard.
It comes with a belt clip; there is no way I'm going to walk around town with a Pokeball on my hip. I'm 25, and I'll leave that activity to grade school kids. Thankfully the clip is optional.
Its not backlit. I play the DS in bed; I play with my iPhone in the dark car; hell, even my keyboard on my laptop is backlit; I want to play this game at night and that's impossible. (I've been playing it as one of the last things I do before bed)
Some of these routes take significant amounts of watts to unlock. I'm thinking literally hundreds of miles of walking. Kids are just going to find ways to cheat this; I know I would/will.
It falls out of my pocket when I'm hanging upside down at the climbing gym; it and my pedometer get left in my coat now.
It prominently displays your Pokemon's name. This sounds like a good thing, but kids name their Pokemon all sorts of horrible/rude/graphic/sexual things. This WILL get kids into trouble in school.

And the good
The thing is solid, I really don't feel like I will break it by sitting on it or dropping it; I can't say the same about my pedometer.
Its fun. It keeps my attention for short spans of time when I play with it.
I can get Pokemon on it that I can't in the game. Early on in the game, when you are frantically trying to create a decent team, that is invaluable.
It's a fracking Pokeball! I need not say more.
It is actually difficult to get it to register cheating reliably as steps. It really seems to want an elliptical motion to count a step.
You can turn off the sound; kids will be able to play with this device during class and the teacher won't hear it beeping.
Your Pokemon won't die if you leave it on the device for a while and forget about it. Talk about annoying if you had a Tamagotchi and forgot it at home one day; your Tamagotchi would die.

No comments:

Post a Comment